The Environmental Quality division within DDPHE has an opening for a visionary Air and Water Quality Manager. This position will lead an experienced, passionate, and committed team of subject matter experts. Broad knowledge of air and/or water quality regulations, monitoring/sampling protocols, data and trends analyses, reporting, community outreach, and environmental justice are essential qualities for this position. This position is a critical part of EQ’s management team and regularly interacts with programs and staff on other city/state/federal teams. This position also serves on our environmental duty officer (after hours emergencies) call rotation.
Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leading, coaching, and conducting performance management for a team of scientists who strive to make Denver’s air and water quality the best that it can be through environmental monitoring, technical analysis, permit compliance, and by developing and contributing to city/state/federal policies with extensive stakeholder engagement.
- Work across multiple agencies with diverse stakeholders to achieve shared goals.
- Ensure programs operate in compliance with departmental objectives, pertinent laws, rules and regulations.
- Oversee grants and contracts development and management.
- Develop and monitor program budgets in coordination with staff and the management team.
- Develop and monitor performance metrics in accordance with city, departmental, and divisional goals.
- Support a management team committed to making the Environmental Quality Division the best place to work in the city.
- Along with all department staff, this position will actively participate on an emergency preparedness and response team to support DDPHE’s responsibilities outlined in the City’s Emergency Operations Plan. This may require being ‘on-call’ from time to time to help respond to emergencies. Additional training commensurate with assigned duties will be provided.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Salary Range: $99,162.00 – $163,617.00
Starting Pay: Based on education and experience.
Agency: Department of Public Health & Environment
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Master’s degree in Environmental Health and/or Science, Engineering, Public Administration, or other physical science.
- A proven ability to lead/manage a diverse team, creating an atmosphere of trust and inclusiveness.
- A proven ability to work with representatives from a variety of City agencies and external organizations in an effective and persuasive manner.
- A proven ability of advocacy and positive representation of programs in a multitude of environments (i.e. Mayor’s Office, City Council, sister agencies) and matrix managing these programs on behalf of the staff.
- Experience managing complex budgets.
- A demonstrated commitment to innovation, particularly incorporation of citizen science across diverse communities and/or engaging diverse communities to understand environmental risks.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results by creating a shared vision and enabling others to act.
- Knowledge and/or experience with the Incident Command System (ICS) protocols for emergency response.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, or in a related field based on a specific position.
- Experience Requirement: Five (5) years of experience performing professional level environmental or public health scientific analysis or inspections.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: None.
To be considered for this position, you must include the following on your job application (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Cover letter